Saturday, July 18, 2009

An Unforgetable "Independence Day" Weekend

Pop..Pop...pop pop...Pop....Boom! I sat straight up in bed for the "umpteen" time that night. The clock said it was 2:50 a.m. and I wondered when the 4th of July was going to end in my community. I could see there was no reason to try to sleep so I headed to my comfy chair in the living room and turned on "Nick at Night". I laughed for a while at Steve Irkel and gradually sleep overtook my tired body.

The bright sunshine coming through my living room window told me I had slept too long to make it to my usual Sunday services. I was sad that I had missed my Prime Time Class where I connect each Sunday with friends and with God. "I really wanted to go to church," I said out loud to God as I headed for the shower.

After getting myself dressed for the day, I realized the hunger pains were really getting strong. "I wonder if my family is at the new Mongolian Grill," I thought as I grabbed my purse and headed out the door. They eat there after church once in a while. After not seeing any familiar cars in the parking lot, I picked up some food at the Panda Express and started home to eat.

I was only a few blocks from home when the car in front of me stopped. I reached my foot up to put on the brake and the brake peddle jammed into my open-toe shoe, between my foot and the sole of my shoe. I kicked, pulled and did every thing I could to get my shoe untangled while I watched in horror as the car in front of me was getting closer and closer. I tried pushing the brake with my left foot just as I hit the car and my air bag activated. What a helpless feeling! I've never experienced anything like that before.

Sleep didn't come so easy the next few nights. Every time I closed my eyes, I re-lived the terrible feeling of approaching that car with no way to get my car stopped. I spent much time in prayer....praying that the nice young couple I hit would not have to go through much pain, praying that God would work out all the details of another car...praying that I could forgive myself and stop re-living the accident, and praying that I could get over my nervousness every time I drove the rental car.

"Father, I don't have any money to make car payments," I wrote in my prayer journal. "Please help me find a car for the meager amount of money my 96 Grand Marquis was worth. I gave it all to God and now I just had to trust Him for all the details. "When doubts filled my mind, your comfort, gave me renew hope and cheer." Pslam 94:19 (NLB)

As soon as Art, a car salesman from our church, heard about the wreck, he began to help me by researching what my car was worth and making sure the insurance company was being fair to me, as well as praying for God to help him find the right car for me.

God is so faithful. Four days after the accident, I was signing papers for just the car I needed. It was a one owner car in very good shape, had all the power equipment I needed to be comfortable, plenty of room to transport grandchildren, and the dealer let me have it for the price I was getting from my wrecked car. God met all my needs without me ever putting a foot on a used car lot.

I never cease to be amazed at the goodness of the Lord or the kindness of His people. I am so thankful that the Word promises us, "The Lord hears His people when they call to Him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles.: Psalm 34:17 (NLB)

1 comment:

  1. a great find for my 7yr old panda fanatic!
    my princess won’t put it down!!!
    hkpanda.freetzi.com

    ReplyDelete