Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Thoughts

My children and grandchildren are all out enjoying this beautiful sunny day. We will meet later for a barbeque. I am home alone waiting for a friend to stop by while she is in the area.

I have been thinking of Memorial Day and how very grateful I am for the many people that have played a part in my freedom. I love America. I love the freedom to enjoy God, family, and friends. I love the freedom to make choices I feel is best for me. I love the privilege of backing our troops and their families in prayer.

We went to Tahoma national cemetery yesterday to put flowers on my dear husband’s grave. My eyes began to water just driving through the many flags lining the streets and seeing the hundreds of small flags on every grave, representing people who have given their service to our country.

My mind went back 47 years. Two months and two days after Don and I were married, he boarded a plane headed for Viet Nam. For fifteen months I prayed, watched for his handwriting on letters and went to bed each night praying that he was safe. What a relief when he came home. We were one of the blessed ones. We had many more years to enjoy life together.

Every week I read over the names of our military men and women on our church prayer list. There is usually a half of a page of young people who are serving our country. Many of them are deployed. Some of them have families left here to cope while their spouses are away. I pray for each name, asking God to meet their needs and keep them safe.

Engraved on Don’s tombstone is his favorite Scripture, Colossian 3:12-15. Verses 12 and 13 says “ Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy, and dearly loved, cloth yourselves with compassions, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other, and forgive whatever grievance you may have against one another.” This Memorial Day let’s commit to putting these verses into action with our military families. We can show our appreciation for America by loving and serving those who fight for our freedom.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment