Monday, September 21, 2009

The Amazing God Ordained Day

It's 7:00 pm on Sunday evening and I am home. I had planned to be in church. Sunday night services are always incredible and I hate when I miss them. For some reason I have been quite tired today. I went to our Prime Time Class and Celebration Live Service this morning and later this afternoon I sat down to read the Sunday paper. My eyes got tired and I dozed off and didn't wake up until it was too late to go to church. I couldn't believe how long I had slept sitting up on my loveseat.

I was reminded of another time in my life when I was extremely exhausted. I didn't think I could make it through the day but that day ended up being one of the most amazing God ordained days of my life.

Don was the pastor of a small church in Packwood. I was very pregnant with Valerie. I had been up all night with 2 yr. old Sandra, who had the stomach flu. About 6:00 a.m. she finally went to sleep and I was faced with an unusually busy Saturday ahead of me. I knew if I lay down I would never get everything accomplished.

Don had left at 4:00 am for his paper route and when he returned home he would need to prepare for Sunday services. We had a missionary family coming for the morning service and they would be having lunch with us. The house had to be cleaned, the food prepared, the soiled sheets and clothes washed, everyone's Sunday clothes ironed and I was too tired to know where to start. I made myself an egg and piece of toast and sat down at the kitchen table to eat. "God, please give me supernatural strength for today so I can get all my responsibilities accomplished," I prayed when I blessed the food.

About 7 am I was gathering up the dirty clothes and loading the washing machine when I heard a quiet knock on the door. Sis. Hanson, one of our senior citizens was standing at the door with a couple of bags. "I saw your light on and wanted to bring these over before you got too busy today," she said. "I woke up early and was in a baking mood. I thought you could use these for lunch tomorrow." The bags held two apple pies and home made dinner rolls. I gave her a hug and told her she was God-sent.

Before I got back to the washing machine, the telephone rang. Bro. Morton, another senior citizen from our church was on the line. "Sis. Hintz, when my wife was having her devotions this morning she felt the Lord told her to do some ironing for you today. I'll be over in a few minutes to pick it up for her." He hung up the phone before I could catch my breath to respond. I went to my overflowing ironing basket and pulled out two white shirts for Don, a dress and set of play clothes for each of the girls and a cotton Sunday dress for myself. When Bro Morton arrived and took one look at the small bag he laughed saying," I know you have more ironing to be done than this. My wife won't be happy with me if this is all I bring home. She was looking forward to having something to keep her busy today." I was embarrassed to give him such a large pile of ironing but I knew I couldn't argue with him....or with God. "I'll bring these back later today," my dear friend hollowed as he opened his car door.

I finished putting the clothes in the washer and was pulling out cleaning supplies when there was another knock on the door. Bro. McCullough, one of our deacons and our neighbor across the street was standing with a bag. "We butchered last week and I thought you could use a nice beef roast for Sunday lunch tomorrow," he announced. "My wife included some potatoes and carrots in the bag to go with the roast." I was choking back the tears while saying thanks when I saw two of our teen girls walking towards the house. Bro McCullough greeted the girls as passed on the sidewalk.

"Sis. Hintz can we stay here for awhile till our dad picks us up?" Elayne asked. "Sure," I responded while pulling out the dusting supplies and vacuum cleaner. "You look tired," Liz said. I told them about being up all night and the work that still lay ahead of me. Elayne looked over at Liz and then said, "We'll clean your house for you. Just tell us what you want done and you can go take a nap for awhile." I didn't argue. I gave them instructions and told them to call me when Sandra woke up. I don't think I even remember hitting the bed.

I didn't wake up until the late afternoon. The house was completely quiet. Sandra wasn't in her room. The clothes were folded on the dryer, the house was clean and there was a note on the table. The note said, "Thanks for letting us clean your house. We had a good time. Sis. Hanson put Sandra in the stroller and walked into town with her. She'll bring her home later. Pastor is in his office at the church. See you tomorrow. P. S. Sis. Hanson brought you some homemade soup and corn bread for dinner."

With the note still in my hand I slowly sat down in the rocking chair. I felt rested, the house was clean, food and dessert was available for Sunday's lunch, dinner for that night was on the stove, my ironing was being done and Sandra was being spoiled by her adopted "grandma". "Lord, I just asked for supernatural strength to get my work done," I prayed, "but you had another plan. You nudged a whole circle of your children to bless their Pastor's wife today." I felt like a small child that had just crawled up in her daddy's lap for a big hug. Tears of thanksgiving flowed freely as I sat alone in the quiet house.

"Proverbs 16:9 says, "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."(NLT) I had plans tonight but things didn't turn out the way I expected. I can't help but wonder why this story came to my mind 40 yrs after it took place. Does someone need to be reminded to "Cast all their anxiety on Him because He cares for you?" I Peter 5:7 (NIV) I can tell you from personal experience.... our Father really does care for His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment