Friday, September 18, 2009

Is That You Speaking, Lord?

Today a serviceman came to change my phone over to another company. I was excited over the good deal I was getting but yet I felt a check in my spirit. "Lord, if this is not the right thing for me to do, please show me," I prayed before he arrived. As the serviceman was looking for hook-ups I asked him if this was the regular cost of bundling the phone and internet. Without hesitation he said, "O, this is just a promo. In three or six months it will be more than twice this amount." No one had told me this was just a promotional price.

I must have looked confused because the nice gentleman said, "Are you sure this is what you want to do? It will cost you big to change it back in several months if you can't afford the regular amount." I knew this was the Lord leading me to stay with what I have.

I'm so grateful that God can see the future and He knows what is best for us. I remembered an incident that happened right after Don passed away. A lady (I didn't know her very well) came up to me after church one Sunday. She handed me a sympathy card and then she said," I don't want you to think that I'm crazy when you see the amount I put on the check inside the card. I wanted to take it to the even amount....in fact, I did that, but I felt God was telling me to write it for this uneven amount so I tore up the check and rewrote it. Now, I'm just trusting I was really hearing the Lord." I gave her a hug and thanked her for listening to the small voice inside her.

When I arrived home, I looked at the check. It was for $74.26. "Lord, I know you have a special purpose for this check," I prayed, "so I'm going to put it in the drawer and wait for you to show me what it is for." At the end of the month my bills were coming in. When I saw my gas bill, it sounded familiar. I ran to the drawer and pulled out the check and the tears began to flow. The bill was for the exact amount of the check, $74.26.

On Sunday morning I put the bill and the check in my purse. As I was walking across the parking lot after church, I saw the lady who had given it to me. When I showed her the bill and check she fell into my arms sobbing uncontrollably. We stood there, both crying, unable to say anything except, "Thank you, Jesus!

I discovered this situation was not only to meet my needs but God was meeting a need in the life of my new friend. She shared how she had been discouraged, depressed, and couldn't seem to connect with God. She cried out to Him, "Please show me that you are there....that you care." The next day she read that Don had passed away and her heart was touched. She remembered how he had greeted her in the foyer at church and how his joyful spirit always lifted her up.
When she chose a card to give to me God spoke loud and clear in her heart to write me a check for $74.26. The incident not only showed her that God was there, but also assured her that she could still hear His voice. It also was exactly what I needed to help me through the next three months when I didn't have any income. I knew God was taking care of me...and He did.

I'm a little disappointed that I won't have long distance, calling ID or the eleven other amenities (whatever they are) that the new company promised but there is no amount of amenities that can take the place of PEACE in my heart because I have followed the Lord's leading. I am learning to "Trust in the Lord with all my heart and not depend on my own understanding. I want to seek His will in all I do and then know He is directing my paths." Proverbs 3:5,6 (NLT personalized) Is that You speaking, Lord? Your daughter is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment