Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Tribute to my Sister, June

I only had 19 months of my mama and daddy’s undivided attention before my sister joined our family.  Mother was sure she was having a boy so James Curtis Blanton, Jr. was the only name chosen for the new bundle. To their surprise they didn’t have a Junior but they did have a beautiful little June.

            June and I were best friends during our growing up years.  We played hard together, got in trouble together, and learned to do household chores together. We gave our hearts to Jesus on the same night, each of us leaning on one of daddy’s knees, repeating the sinner’s prayer after him. We loved to sing.  You could hear the two of us bellowing out the words to our Sunday School songs while pumping back in forth in the old tire swing, feeding the animals, or singing along with daddy’s guitar. I was told that when our younger sister was born, daddy told mother, “Now we have our ladies’ trio.”

            Music was in our souls and at a young age June and I found ourselves harmonizing with Sandra who could sing out the lead like someone much older. We sang our first special in church when Sandra was 6, June 8 and I was 10. This was the beginning of an incredible bonding and adventure between the Blanton Sisters.  As the years passed, we grew closer to each other and closer to God as we were given the opportunity to share God’s love in churches, homecomings, youth events, family camps, Sunday afternoon Singsperations, and anywhere else we were invited. After our trio was silenced by my move across the states, my sisters’ beautiful voices continued to bring God glory in their churches and community.  I recall the joy I felt when I visited at Stoney Run, watching June lead the choir, hearing her hit those high notes on “It is well with my Soul” and seeing her live out that hymn in her life. I get cold chills just remembering how I felt each time I heard her beautiful gift of song.

            June has always been more than just a sister to me….we went everywhere together as teens…..we both met our future husbands at Watha Youth Camp….we both became engaged in December of ‘61…..and we even had a double wedding planned but it was interrupted by Don’s call to Viet Nam.

            For the past 50 years, I have been living 3,000 miles away from June.  Physically we have been apart but our hearts have always been together.  My love and appreciation for my sister has continually grown as we communicated by long distance about our joys, hurts, prayer needs, grandchildren, and what God was teaching us. These last six years we have both had more time for long phone conversations and I looked forward to picking up the phone and hearing her say, “I just wanted to hear your voice today, Sis.”

Being a part of June’s life has enhanced mine. I’ve admired her sensitivity and response to the leading of the Lord…whether it was taking a dish to a friend, making a phone call, or providing a financial need, June was quick to follow God’s nudge. I have been the recipient of her tender heart many times, especially since the home going of my husband, and I desire to show my appreciation to her and God by being a better listener to His gentle voice myself.

June deeply loved her family. I too am so proud of all of them and I wish my health would have allowed me to be there to celebrate together the life of this one we all loved. I’m thankful for the memories I have made with my sister; especially of this past summer when she and Dewayne drove out to Washington State and spent time with me and my family.  My children and grandchildren adore this aunt and uncle and loved their time with them.  My son-in-law told me this week, “Aunt June was my favorite aunt.” The deep stomach laughs and great conversations of this summer’s visit will always be etched in my memory.

My writing of this tribute was interrupted this afternoon by a phone call from my grandson at Marine Camp. He shared how glad he was for a very special day spent in Seattle with Uncle Dewayne and Aunt June.  He ended our conversation by saying, “I observed that day what real love looks like; especially the love of a husband for his wife.”  Thank you, Dewayne for the incredible love you have extended to my sister these 51 ½ yrs.


Life as we know it will always be changing. But there is one thing we can depend on to never change and that is the love of our great God for His children. June understood that love and I believe she would tell us “His eye is on the Sparrow and I know He watches over you,”

No comments:

Post a Comment