Friday, July 3, 2015

Singing the Psalms

I do my "reading through the Bible in a year" part of my devotions by audio. As I was getting ready for the day, the reader started reading Psalm 34......immediately the tears were flowing. In my mind's eye, I could see my sweet husband's face as he sang the first four verses of that song: "I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; The humble shall hear of it and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together. I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fear."
Those of you who attended NLCA or Des Moines Assembly probably remembers how we would sing the Psalms. Last Sunday Valerie was leading worship in the Traditions Service.....and again the tears started flowing as soon as her voice rang out, "Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised." (Psalm 48:1-3)......singing these songs not only touch my soul.....but they always remind me of a man who not only loved the Word.....but lived it.

Don did not have an easy time in school.....he went to an English speaking school and came home to a German speaking family. He struggled with reading.....with understanding the teachers who talked too fast....with a dyslexic mind that couldn't sort things out in a limited time slot......but by what I call a miracle..,.....at a young age he would ride his bike to their country church.....come home....(and from what his mom told me)...repeat the preacher's sermon almost word for word for her......and then he would gather all the kittens in the backyard.....and preach the sermon to the wiggly congregation, constantly trying to escape.

It wasn't until Don had children of his own that he learned about dyslexia and the affect it has on its victims......being tested.....and finally understanding why taking speed reading classes....and the many other things he did to try to improve himself didn't work.. .realizing it was the way God made him.....not anything he had/or had not done.....took a big weight off his shoulders.....and freed him to do his ministry and leave the results to the Lord. He learned to laugh and ask for help from his listeners when struggling with a word while teaching.

"I will bless the LORD at all times..His praise shall continually be in my mouth".....these words were straight from Don's Hintz's heart. "I sought the LORD and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears."......Don understood where his help came from.....that God's power overcame his weaknesses....and all he accomplished was because of God's grace.....singing the Word was a sincere praise to the One he loved and appreciated.


I don't mind the fountain of tears which cascades over my spirit...they are very cleansing...they bring me into God's presence....and they remind me: "Great peace have they who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble." Psalm 119:165

No comments:

Post a Comment