Monday, April 27, 2009

Clayton's Car

I opened up the text message from my 16 year old grandson. "Oma, please pray that I'll get my car back," it read. The flood of tears I had been holding back gushed out as I sent another plea for help to my heavenly Father.

Clayton had a big shock when he headed out to go to his before school Jazz Band practice. There was an empty spot in the driveway where his car should have been sitting. His little '93 Honda had been stolen.

Clayton loved his little sporty sedan, not especially because of its good looks, but because it was a gift. A friend moving to Japan had given him the car but Clayton knew it was ultimately a gift from God.

The policeman made a report but he told Clayton's family that it is rare to get a car back. Clayton knew that "nothing is impossible with God" (Luke 1:37) so he and his mother sent text messages to many friends and family asking them to pray.

Clayton was sad but he told his mom he wanted to have the right attitude even during the hard times of his life.

After school Clayton headed to a Christian concert with friends as previously planned. About 6:00 p.m. Valerie received a call that the car had been found and was sitting at Pierce College in Puyallup. I met them there and to our relief the car was in good shape except for the dash where they had taken his CD system. The police said the thief had left Clayton's car and taken a professor's Honda from the parking lot.

Jim and Valerie had just retired for the night when they heard Clayton coming through the house. "Praise you, God! Praise you, God! I have my car back! I have my car back!" he was shouting to the top of his voice. Valerie didn't let him know they had found the car so he came home to find it sitting in the driveway. He was giving God all the praise from the bottom of his heart.

The Bible tells us that we will have trials. I Peter 1:7a says "These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure." Its hard for a grandma to watch her grandchildren go through hard times but I know it is necessary to experience the last part of I Peter 1:7 "So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." (NLB)

No comments:

Post a Comment