Thursday, April 30, 2009

God cares about Teeth

“Patricia, open up a little wider,” the hygienist instructed as she cleaned my teeth. I found myself dozing while she was trying to do her job. My eyes nor my mouth wanted to stay open for very long.

Sandra and I left early this morning for our dental appointments in Renton. We traveled 40 miles to the dentist we have seen for over 25 years. It’s worth the drive to be attended by such a kind and gentle man as Dr. Randolph Lake.

Dr. Lake has a heart of gold. I’ll never forget how he went out of his way to help us when Danielle came to live with me. She had not been to a dentist in several years and we didn’t have any insurance for her. I wanted to make sure her teeth were clean and in good order before she headed to college. Dr. Lake and his assistants cleaned, took x-rays, repaired a couple of fillings and then informed us that all four of Danielle’s wisdom teeth needed to be surgically removed.

Danielle and I prayed that God would help us get the surgery done without going into debt. Dr. Lake made arrangements for us with one of his friends and we went for an interview. After the exam, the doctor took us to the office assistant to sign papers and discuss the bill.

When the assistant laid the itemized bill before us, I lost my breath and almost fainted. The total was $1,875.00. I sent a quick, silent “help, Lord” up to my heavenly Father. The assistant turned the bill over and said this will be your total. She pointed to a line that said, “Patient’s responsibility”. In that space was a nice round “0”. I looked at the assistant and asked, “What does that mean?” She said, “That means Dr. D is not charging you for the surgery.” I responded, “Which of these items do we pay?” She looked at me and smiled and said, “Your bill is completely covered. You won’t owe anything at all.”

Danielle and I looked at each other. She started giggling uncontrollably and I broke down in tears that just wouldn’t stop. We hugged each other quietly saying, “Thank you, Jesus, thank you, Jesus. Then I turned and thanked the assistant. She said, “I’m not the one to thank. There is a person that really cares about both of you very much and went to bat for you.”

Danielle and I worshipped and thanked the Lord the whole trip home. The Scripture that came to mind was Ephesians 3:20, 21 “Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”

Sandra and I reminisced stories of God’s provision all the way home from the dental office. The miles passed quickly and our hearts were encouraged and filled with gratefulness. I was now wide awake and ready for my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment